Tuesday, August 25, 2026

A sneak peek at tomorrow's print ediiton of the Montrose Daily Press ...

Email not displaying correctly? View the web version

A sneak peek at tomorrow's print edition of the Montrose Daily Press ...

In tomorrow's print edition of the Montrose Daily Press, you can read about a local campaign event for Colorado gubernatorial Republican candidate Victor Marx, where he told voters to get over the "butt-hurt" of a razor-thin primary contest; and about how the Montrose school board is presenting Superintendent Dr. Carrie Stephenson with a 'voluntary resignation and separation' proposal; and you'll also find a roundup of local high school sports barely two weeks into the fall season.






Also in tomorrow's print edition, you can read about the Common Ground Music & Arts Festival, which is coming up this weekend. The free festival will be held at the Rotary Amphitheater in Cerise Park, and will feature a range of musical acts, including The Motet, Dogtag, The Black Canyon Bays and local favorite D&G Railroad.




Have a Good One,

Jeremy Morrison, managing editor

Montrose Daily Press





mhs volleyball
Red Hawks return with new-look lineup and polished performance; MHS begins league play with matches against Palisade, GJ Central; Gets first look at tournament action over Labor Day weekend

For a new-look Montrose girls volleyball team, an early test was perhaps the best way to gauge what could be ahead for the 2026 season.

Taking on last year’s Class 3A runner-up was certainly a worthy test.

The Red Hawks faced off against Alamosa to open the season, getting a 25-23, 23-25, 25-16, 25-20 win.

The four-set win was even more impressive considering how polished the Red Hawks (1-0 overall) looked. From the serve receive to attacking, they looked more like a team with 10 matches under their belt.

“I kept looking at my assistants and asking, ‘Is it really August 20th,’” coach Shane Forrest said.

Read More
mcsd
MCSD school board votes to present superintendent with 'voluntary resignation and separation' proposal; Hovde questions process, but says board relationship with Dr. Carrie Stephenson has 'deteriorated' beyond repair — 'I just don’t see a realistic path for her coming back'

Though the surrounding circumstances remain unclear, it appears the Montrose County School District and Superintendent Dr. Carrie Stephenson will be parting ways. In a special meeting Monday evening, the school board voted to present the superintendent with a proposed agreement outlining the terms of her “voluntary resignation and separation.”

The vote was unanimous, but board member Jody Hovde — a minority voice throughout this process — noted her concerns.

“I might vote for the outcome of this, but I want it to be on record that I have concerns about the process and how we came to this decision,” Hovde told the board before the Aug. 24 vote.

Contacted Tuesday morning, the school board member explained her vote in the context of a contentious summer that has seen tensions between the board and the superintendent reach a boiling point: “I just think so much has happened.”

Read More
Victor Marx
‘I may not be the best pick, but I'm the pick’: Gubernatorial candidate Victor Marx encourages Republicans to fall in line at Montrose campaign stop

After winning the GOP primary by just a couple thousand votes, Republican gubernatorial candidate Victor Marx is urging right-wing voters to rally behind him — or else, have their way of life destroyed by socialists.

“We’re here to take our state back,” the candidate said at a Montrose campaign stop Saturday, also telling attendees, “I may not be in your first pick. I may not be the best pick, but I'm the pick.”

At the local campaign stop Aug. 22, Marx and a handful of Republican candidates and politicians sent a clear message that they were under attack, and whatever voters thought about the close primary, it’s time to fall in line.

Read More

Thank you for reading the Montrose Daily Press

Click here to unsubscribe and manage your email subscriptions.
Montrose Press 401 E Main St, MONTROSE, CO 81401

No comments:

Post a Comment